We hope to have a produce stand set up at the store sometime this spring. Be on the lookout for updates. We will try to stock as much locally grown produce as possible.
May time vegetables that are in season now are as follows
- Asian greens
- Fava beans
- Garlic scapes
- Green onions
- Most herbs
- Lettuce and salad greens
- Pea tips
Recipe of the Month for May
Asparagus and Fava Beans with Toasted Almonds
Makes 8 servings
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh fava beans, shelled
- 1 pound asparagus tough ends removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, toasted and chopped
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- juice and zest (removed in long strips) of 1 lemon
- Blanch fava beans in a pot of salted boiling water just until tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to an ice-water bath. Blanch asparagus in a pot until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes ; transfer to ice-water bath. Drain vegetables. Remove outer skin from fava beans (you should have 1 cup). pat asparagus dry.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Swirl in oil, then add garlic and fava beans and season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is softened, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer beans to a plate with a slotted spoon. Let skillet cool slightly, then whisk lemon juice into oil in skillet; season with salt and pepper. (Add more oil if dressing is too tart.) Add asparagus; toss to coat with dressing.
- Combine almonds and lemon zest in a small bowl. Transfer asparagus to a platter, top with fava beans, and drizzle remaining dressing in skillet over top. Sprinkle with almond-zest mixture and serve.